Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Paying Interns

After spending an entire summer in New York City, working 45+ hours per week and getting paid $10 per day, I feel pretty strongly about the need to pay interns. I realize that interns are a great way to get incredibly cheap labor at the cost of less experienced work, but it is incredibly difficult to motivate yourself when you know that you are working for approximately $1.11 per hour.
Once this summer, I was even in charge of recruiting a student from a film school to shoot a video for us. It was stressed to me that I was to make sure that the students being interviewed were well aware that they were not going to be paid. I loved that job -- grrr...
I can understand the fact that there are a lot of people out there looking for experience and I know that if I refuse to take an internship because it isn't paid, they won't care because it is likely that they can find someone else that will work for nothing, but I just feel that it is an unfair way to get cheap labor. At my internship this summer I felt like I was frequently doing jobs that the regular employees do, yet getting paid next to nothing while they brought in a salary.
I'm not asking for millions... I would be happy with minimum wage!

No comments: