Wednesday, October 10, 2007

my amazing discovery

Going on with my recent obsession with job hunting, I started wondering what I can be expecting to make when I find my first job. I have these amazing visions about what it will be like to have a steady paycheck that gives me more than what I'm getting at my $6 an hour internship (oh what we'll do for experience). But my problem was that I wasn't sure what I should even ask for as my salary. I noticed that several of the employers of the jobs that I was looking at want you to give them what you want for a salary. In this there is quite the predicament - you ballpark a figure that is too low, you sell yourself short and settle for less than you could be getting OR you overestimate and the potential employer throws out your resume. Pretty intense stuff. So anyway, I was curious so I checked out the usual salary.com and it wasn't much of a help. I wanted to see something specifically entry level, but it was giving you a general idea. So, I googled "salary for entry level PR" and guess what I found... an entire site devoted to soon-to-be college grads looking for advice and jobs. The site is www.entrylevel-pr.com. I originally found the blog first, and it had really great topics and advice, but this is the main site. I still need to keep looking around, but it seems to be a pretty helpful place for someone like me. I know the blog was written by a woman who was working in PR (maybe in HR) and was in charge of hiring people. So she knows what she is talking about when saying what they look for on resumes and things like that.
So, this is my latest discovery and I hope that someone else can benefit from it as well :) Happy job hunting!

No comments: